Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Josh's Sacrifice

Josh makes me laugh so much. Last week I went to dinner with some friends and while I was gone, Josh took our kids to a neighbor's birthday party at Jungle Jim's. Jungle Jim's, for those who don't know, is sort of indoor pizza place with a bunch of child-size rides. It's very cheap and super fun and dirtier than I like to think about and we love it. While I was out, I didn't check my phone because manners. But when I was getting into my car around 10:00, I thought to check my messages before heading home.

Josh had sent me four texts back-to-back between 7:09 and 7:30. They read as follows:

"Rode some spinny ride. Sweating all over now, still trying not to throw up a few minutes later now."

"Still sweating, stomach hasn't calmed yet."

"Oh gosh. Almost just threw up. Why of why did I think I'd be the fun dad? I'm not the fun dad."

"Still fighting to keep from throwing up. Did I mention I only went on the ride once?"

I tried calling him to make sure he was all right, but he didn't answer, so I drove home and let myself into the house. The kids were asleep in their beds, fully-dressed and with bobby pins still in Scarlet's hair. It looked like Josh had unceremoniously dumped them into their beds upon arriving home.

I checked on Josh, who was fast asleep in our bed, a bowl on his nightstand just in case he actually made good on that threat to throw up. I had to smile.

The next day, Josh was still pretty dizzy. It took him most of the day to recover from that one spinny ride with his little girl. For what it's worth, I think he's a pretty fun dad.

The ride in question

1 comment:

  1. Aww, Josh is such a great dad!! I love reading about how you two parent. Josh goes through such great lengths to be a team player. I still remember that picture of him wearing the pregnancy vest--ha! I guess the nausea was just a few years too late.

    ReplyDelete