Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Moved In

So we've been living in our new house for eight whole months. (We purchased the house nine months ago.) Within the course of that first month we refinished the floors, bought kitchen appliances and demolished the former kitchen, installed a living room ceiling fan, bought and installed a dozen window blinds, sprayed the entire house for bugs, and cleaned and dusted and washed and vacuumed every inch of the house. Then we rented a moving truck and moved our apartment belongings into our house over the course of six hours. Within a week or two, the house was unpacked and we had moved comfortably in. Almost.

Since we were renovating the kitchen and we didn't have the cabinets yet, all of our kitchen supplies remained in boxes in our bedroom so they'd be out of the way of our kids (through October). When the cabinets were installed, we still couldn't move the kitchen supplies because we didn't have a countertop (through November). When the countertop was installed, we still couldn't move the kitchen supplies because we didn't have a kitchen sink or faucet installed (through December). When the kitchen sink and faucet were installed, we unpacked our dishes and pans and washed everything and found places to put it in our new kitchen. Then we discovered that those weren't the only items left hiding in our bedroom for all those months.

There were five final boxes that contained any number of odds and ends that we didn't know what to do with. They contained such things as antibacterial hand soap, extra razors, nail polish, two surge protectors, an extra length of coil for the dryer, baby shampoo, Reynold's Wrap, skewers, tape, a baby-proofing kit, an extra pair of glasses, stamps, the box of CenturyLink cables left over from our internet installation, and numerous other similar miscellany. I hadn't even realized we'd had this junk. We'd been living for half a year without needing them, but I also couldn't just throw the stuff away without at least sorting through it all to see what we needed to keep. And then there was the dizzying concept of having to find a place to store those things somewhere in our new house. I'm not the most organized person, so I combat that weakness by minimizing the amount of stuff I keep in my house. That way, organized or not, there isn't too much clutter around me, stifling and oppressing me with its mass.

Since I was overwhelmed by the concept of clearing out those final boxes, I just pretended they didn't exist. Our room was significantly clearer without the kitchen items in it, so it was already improved even with the remaining moving boxes. And I knew Josh wouldn't touch the boxes without strong encouragement from me, so it'd be up to me to sort through them and I just didn't want to.

Cue the music while months and months roll by. A rainy April rolls around and just as it's about to turn into a sunnier May, I decide I've finally had enough. We spent last Friday night cleaning the house after the kids were asleep so we wouldn't have to waste any of our Saturday on chores. After I'd done my housework, I entered my bedroom with determination. Those boxes were going to die that night.

I did end up throwing away a lot of the stuff from those boxes. Another portion went to D.I., and a tiny amount went to various places around the house where we would eventually use them. After the boxes were stomped down and shoved into the recycling bin, I felt an incredible lightness. I walked back into my bedroom and saw just how big and beautiful it looked with a few select pieces of furniture and nothing else to mar the even pattern of the light wood floors. I loved it immensely.

That night I slept soundly. I couldn't believe what an effect that clear room was having on me. I mean, I'd been living with those boxes for most of a year and had slept like normal (that is to say, a little fitfully thanks to my insomnia). I hadn't realized that they were a source of oppression for me. Those boxes were a dark little cloud on my soul and I'd been unconsciously avoiding my bedroom except for sleep to avoid that cloud.

Now I welcome time spent in my bedroom. I no longer keep the door closed to keep the kids out, because there's no longer a pile of things they could get into. I raised the blinds today and opened the window to let in the beautiful spring air for literally the first time. The kids like to come in now to sit on the bed or the computer chair. They play in the open space while I fold laundry. They revel in the newness of the room the same way I do.

Now we have officially moved in, and I love this house more than ever.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! You really did so much in that first month. And I don't know how you lived for so long without a fully functioning kitchen. You must be so relieved those days are over. And that box! Seriously, that book about The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up has some great points about joy when you clean (though I do think she should be diagnosed with a severe case of OCD).

    ReplyDelete